News & Events
Paula M. Gart, Chapter Counsel to the Long Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, to Present a Seminar on Copyright Law for Architects
Garden City, New York, January 20, 2015 –
On Thursday, January 29, 2015, L’Abbate Balkan partner, Paula M. Gart, will present a Seminar for the Long Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and other interested design professionals at Chateau Briand, 440 Old Country Road, Carle Place, New York. The Seminar, focusing on copyright law, will address the current state of the Copyright Act as interpreted in New York and its impact on design professionals, along with AIA standard form agreements' treatment of the ownership of design documents.
In this competitive construction climate, every design professional in practice today should understand the value of protecting his or her creative efforts. The connection of this important protection to professional fees earned and collected, and the responsibilities to other professionals and to local building departments, will also be addressed.
This seminar will provide a working knowledge of copyright law and answer commonly asked questions such as:
- May clients use my designs without my involvement?
- Should I complete another design professional's work product?
- Are my ideas protected by copyright law?
- How can I protect against unauthorized use of my drawings by others?
- How do I keep from giving my creative efforts away?
For more information and to register, please visit the AIA Long Island Chapter’s website at www.aialongisland.com.
Ms. Gart is a member of L’Abbate Balkan’s Design Professionals Practice Group. Since its founding in 1981, LBC&C has been serving the design profession and has been a recognized leader in the field of architects' and engineers' professional liability defense.
Press Release Archives
- Paula M. Gart, Chapter Counsel to the Long Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, to Present a Seminar on Copyright Law for Architects
- LBC&C Welcomes John R. Gonzo
- Richard P. Byrne to Speak at CLM 2014 Insurance Bad Faith & Coverage Conference
- “Priority of Insurance Coverage – Who Holds the Trump Card?”
- Marian C. Rice and William T. McCaffery to Speak at “Risk Management 2014”
Garden City, New York
East Hanover, New Jersey