News & Events
Douglas R. Halstrom to speak at NYCLA Seminar, â€śAnatomy of a Depositionâ€ť
Garden City, New York, January 25, 2013 –
On February 12, 2013, L’Abbate Balkan partner, Douglas R. Halstrom, will speak at the New York County Lawyers’ Association seminar, Anatomy of a Deposition.
The pre-trial deposition stage is a critical point in any litigation. Indeed many personal injury and commercial cases are either won or lost during the deposition phase. The panel of experts, including Mr. Halstrom, will provide practical guidance, while teaching basic deposition skills, techniques for handling commonly encountered problems, how to use depositions at trial and how to seek rulings from a trial judge. A demonstration of how to conduct a deposition is also re-enacted.
Some of the specific issues addressed will include:
- How to control a witness
- Dealing with evasive witnesses
- How to discover and authenticate documents for trial
- What objections can be raised
- When to prevent a witness from answering
- What to do when your witness volunteers information
- How to cut your losses in light of unexpectedly damaging testimony
How to use depositions at trial to impeach witnesses, introduce testimony of absentee witnesses and place exhibits into evidence
Mr. Halstrom is a member of L’Abbate Balkan’s Design Professional Practice Group. Since its founding in 1981, L’Abbate Balkan has been serving the design profession and has been a recognized leader in the field of architects' and engineers' professional liability defense.
The seminar will be presented at the New York County Lawyers’ Association, located at 14 Vesey Street in Manhattan, on Wednesday, February 12, 2013, from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Attendees of the seminar will receive 3.0 CLE credits. For more information about the seminar and to register, please visit the NYCLA’s webpage for this event.
Press Release Archives
- Second Circuit Determines Alleged "Theft of Services" Does Not Fall Within the Purview of the FDCPA
- Marian C. Rice to be Honored by the Nassau Chapter of the St. John’s University School of Law Alumni Association
- Marian C. Rice to Speak at NYSBA Seminar, “Best Practices in Setting Up and Maintaining Client Relationships”
- Ilene D. Samuel Elected President of the Estate Planning Council of Nassau County
Garden City, New York
East Hanover, New Jersey