News & Events
Douglas R. Halstrom to speak at NYCLA Seminar, “Anatomy of a Deposition”
Garden City, New York, January 25, 2013 –
On February 12, 2013, L’Abbate Balkan partner, Douglas R. Halstrom, will speak at the New York County Lawyers’ Association seminar, Anatomy of a Deposition.
The pre-trial deposition stage is a critical point in any litigation. Indeed many personal injury and commercial cases are either won or lost during the deposition phase. The panel of experts, including Mr. Halstrom, will provide practical guidance, while teaching basic deposition skills, techniques for handling commonly encountered problems, how to use depositions at trial and how to seek rulings from a trial judge. A demonstration of how to conduct a deposition is also re-enacted.
Some of the specific issues addressed will include:
- How to control a witness
- Dealing with evasive witnesses
- How to discover and authenticate documents for trial
- What objections can be raised
- When to prevent a witness from answering
- What to do when your witness volunteers information
- How to cut your losses in light of unexpectedly damaging testimony
How to use depositions at trial to impeach witnesses, introduce testimony of absentee witnesses and place exhibits into evidence
Mr. Halstrom is a member of L’Abbate Balkan’s Design Professional Practice Group. Since its founding in 1981, L’Abbate Balkan has been serving the design profession and has been a recognized leader in the field of architects' and engineers' professional liability defense.
The seminar will be presented at the New York County Lawyers’ Association, located at 14 Vesey Street in Manhattan, on Wednesday, February 12, 2013, from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Attendees of the seminar will receive 3.0 CLE credits. For more information about the seminar and to register, please visit the NYCLA’s webpage for this event.
Press Release Archives
- Dee Barcham Moderates “Business Valuation: Which Approach to use and Why?”
- Monte Sokol to Moderate “Insurance Law: The Basics” for the City Bar Center for CLE
- Marian C. Rice to present “Risk Management 360 – Is Your Practice at Risk?”
- Gary Strong Re-Appointed Editor of the New York County Lawyers’ Association Construction Law Journal
- Paula M. Gart to Present a Practice Development Seminar for the Long Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
Garden City, New York
East Hanover, New Jersey